My Blog Motto

"Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgement"

~Rita Mae Brown

Monday, April 15, 2013

Am I In A Slump?

I have three drafts in my post queue and not one of them feels acceptable for publishing. In fact two of them don't even feel suitable for editing. For once in my life I have very little to say and although that feels like a slump as the title says, it's probably not a bad thing.
One thing I've learned over the years is to pay attention to my own cycles. The ebb and flow of energies represents the natural pace of being human. Just as nature has her cycles of germination, growth and harvest so do we. Sometimes we have a lot to say or energy and ideas to contribute but those energies and ideas have to come from some fertile ground. Any farmer knows that their fields must lie fallow periodically or the soil will become depleted. We human beings get pretty caught up in the cycle of production we are told we always have to be doing something, working on something or we are somehow not valuable. On one hand we cry out for a sense of meaning and belonging but we rarely slow down long enough to just Be.
There is a quote that tells us we are Human Beings not Human Doings and we like that notion, but how many of us would respond to the ubiquitous question 'what do you do?' with 'I am'. What kind of reaction would be get? I imagine someone waiting as if for a punch line for the rest of the statement to cut through the awkward silence that would follow. Insert rim-shot soundtrack here.
Life is a bit like a conversation, I think. We don't want to do all the talking. That makes for a pretty irritating interaction. Sometimes we need to listen. Sometimes we need to listen more than at other times. This is one of those times. I'm listening to my inner voice and that voice is telling me to listen to others. To observe, to take in and mull over, to process and to do it quietly. Maybe I'm on the verge of some great epiphany. Maybe I'm about to produce something wonderful, some lasting contribution to humankind. Maybe.
Or maybe I'm just a Human Being.

© 2010-2013 Nanakoosa’s Place, authored by Jennifer Hazard

1 comment:

  1. Well it would be more than awesome if it was an epiphany :). I am going with you being a human being who is listening to yourself. I have drafts that I wrote on my blog and I am not really taking it seriously at the moment as it is more of a get it out there while I think about starting a decent blog that is not on tumblr. I find the comments part a little awkward.

    Your blog made me think of this TED talk. This is why I love living in Melbourne. In particular how he refers to human being he uses human kind instead I like how he explains it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLb_H_rOGfhP7CYBOiFiIalTYLiRa6uzKJ&feature=player_embedded&v=jodpW59On7g#!

    He is a little awkward in his talk but I really love this place have been there a few times and had a meal it was awesome.

    I think this is one of the reason for myself I came off facebook. I thought I was in a slump but realise maybe I am not. Also you always produce something that is interesting, intelligent, thoughtful and thought provoking xo <3

    ReplyDelete